Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Hamm's Beer

Recently, While driving through Chicagoland, I noticed a sign proclaiming that Schlitz has gone back and are now producing their 1960's recipe. That kind of pissed me off. I mean, it was the mid seventies when I started enjoying beer and I drank Schlitz. You mean, I didn't get the real stuff? That sucks.

I remember Hamm's from the seventies however, and this brew really isn't quite it. It is however a very tolerable brew with a little hop bite at the end. Surprisingly, it reminds me of my review of Olympia or Rainier from a few months ago. They are all made by SABMiller under contract. I cannot speak for Schlitz as I ventured into that territory a couple years ago and found the results less than stellar.

To be perfectly honest, I just wish that these companies that produce a beer under contract would just do the right thing and make it according to the original recipe. I mean, when a guy buys Hamm's, doesn't he have the right to get what the hell he is buying? I think that the sorry state of affairs in the brewing industry allows for this kind of crap to go on and no one is the wiser...the college kid who buys this beer has no idea of the heritage and sacrifice by the Hamm family that went into the brand name. The fact is that the brewing industry is littered with the bones and failures of those that brewed well and yet, failed. That does not change the fact that people would like variations in their beer and that there should be some sanctity when it comes to the particular recipe they are trying.

Do not get me wrong, this is a reasonably good beer. I just wish that it tasted malty like Hamms.

2.5 out of 5 points Make the shit and they will buy it. Trust me...

No comments: