Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Berghoff Genuine Dark Beer

I remember that it was New Years Eve, 1989 that we were preparing for. I had walked into this store that I had just discovered called Trader Joe's in San Diego. I was still married to my Second wife, I had little kids, I was an E-6 in the Navy and we were living in Navy housing in Chula Vista. There were 20 guests coming over that night and I wanted to celebrate with something special. There was the usual Bud/Miller purchases and I also picked up a case of Berghoff Dark. I can't remember who was brewing the beer at the time, but I do remember this...that the brew I am sampling today kicks that beer right in the ass. I am much more impressed with this beer in my hand. I know little about the trials and tribulations of the Huber Brewing Company of Monroe, Wisconsin, except, that they were struggling badly during the late 80's and were close to closing. I read recently that Huber was taking up the slack for the Storm-damaged Dixie Brewing of New Orleans. Good for them, as those were some great beers and I would hate to see them lost.

Well, on to this brew. Color is nice reddish-brown. Smells are chocolate and caramel with some spicy notes in the background. I have an allergy plugged nose so please bear with me. Flavors are kind-hearted German dark beer with good mouth feel and a mild tingle of alcohol on the tongue. I really like this brew and will seek it out. I just wish it were still $2.99.

Dark Beer 4.25 out of 5 Very drinkable in a tough field of competitors. Great with Spaghetti or Mexican food. Drink up!

No comments: