Monday, November 26, 2007

Henry Weinhards Blonde

I have always for the most part liked Henry's. That being said, I would also say that their Blue Boar Pale Ale could have a modernization of sorts of its recipe to reflect the escalation of the malts and hops present in today's craft beers. This brew starts out a bit richer with more of a malt balance and the hops are present. As beers go, I see quite a bit of good, drinkability in this beer. While it will certainly not overwhelm all but Bud Light trained palettes, it has good drinkable quality and much better balance than their Pale Ale.

At first pour, it has a golden hue with nice beige foam that leaves a mild lace as it goes down. The nose is rather mild and the taste is malty, sweet with a nice mellow bitter from the hops. I have tasted other blonde's and this one would hold its own as a lesser competitor. Not unworthy, yet not at the apex either. I really love the work that Full Sail has done with these brands. This beer is a far cry from the vile sophomoric swill that they named Hefeweitzen about ten years ago. It was gross. This beer was worth my time and I over the course of two days consumed all six. OK, I am hard up and would consume six of anything because I am too cheap to let beer go to waste. But, what I am saying is that these six were pleasant. Far more pleasant that that nasty hefe. Here is a beer that will not offend nor disappoint. Is this a session beer? I have no frigging idea what a session beer is. My session in this case was rather successful and a pleasure as well.

No comments: