Friday, February 29, 2008

Bitch Creek ESB Ale

Grand Teton Brewing Company located in beautiful Victor, Idaho...just a hop, skip and a jump from beautiful Jackson Hole the home of jet setters and Euro trash. You know already what I am thinking. I have said in the past that I really despise the sometimes annoying names that these people that brew beer tend to apply to their bottles. This name happens to be the name of the local creek...you will have to buy your own sixer and read the packaging if the rest of the story is what you desire. I also have found that in spite of the stupid labeling, that there is some great beer to be enjoyed inside of these bottles and trust me, I am. This beer is a fine brew and the name has very little to do with that. This brewery has been around since the late 80's and their experience shows in the final product.

This beer first of all, reminds me of the early incarnations of my own homebrew projects. I would put quite a bit of ingredients into my beers, trying to make what I would call..."what the hell is that" ale. I knew it was dark and I knew it was potent and I knew that my friends would be over as soon as it was bottled to mooch like beer moochers were born and bred to do. The color is deep walnut in color with a long lasting tan head. Malt and crisp backing hops are the prominent flavors upon first sip followed by sweet then mild bitter with caramel/toffee esters on the back of the throat. I saw a beer review where it was described that the alcohol put a tingling sensation on the tongue and cheeks. I did not understand that at the time, but I do now.

This beer is well suited to the winter weather and would be a nice winter warmer. While it resembles in some small way, my homebrew Frankenstein of years ago, it is also much more mature and cultured. The rough edges are smoothed by experience and competence. Perhaps the scents are one and the same with my brew but the similarity fades from that point.

This beer is touted as an Extra Special Bitter. I suppose that is as good a name as any. I just call it darn good brew. I am eager to find and try their other beers as well.

4.75 out of 5 points. Get some of this and it will change your opinion about the current craft beer you drink. Well done.

No comments: