Sunday, March 9, 2008

Samuel Adams Boston Lager

One of my top 5 beers of all time. I have detected more of a hop presence in this brew over the years and I am good with that. When you pour, you detect the flowery essence of hop power. Nice. There is quality malt presence in this brew as well but I will tell you that it is not really what I would call smooth or truly balanced. It is not meant to be that way...it is just what it is. I like this beer so much because I first tasted it in San Diego not long after I arrived back to the US from the Persian Gulf. That was 1988 or so. The first gulf war where Iran was the bad guy spreading mines all over the gulf and threatening the leviathan sized oil tankers. I hit the dock and went to the farmers market and ordered a Sammy Adams. The taste of America. I had a t-shirt that said that "I am a revolting American" from Sam Adams for many years that I thought was cool. While over the years, Sam Adams has been made by contract in many places, the quality has remained constant. Good things always satisfy and this beer is a winner and always has been.

5 out of 5 points

No comments: