Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Shock Top Belgian White

Ever since I have tried Blue Moon, I have pretty much not had the need to get all messed up that is in the world of white. I do like some styles of Belgian beer, that having been said, I will also say that there are too many great American styles of brew to sample without needing any more new names to add. That is the way I feel about Belgian White. It is wheat ale dammit with flavorings added. It is good, yes, but it is still wheat beer. Do you want proof? This ale is also listed with awards from 2006 and 2007 from the North American Beer Awards. The name it was entered under was Spring Heat Spiced Wheat.

Now with that over with, lets get to the nuts and bolts of this brew. This brew is cloudy and the label recommends that you gently pour this down the side of the glass and then gently roll the bottle to collect the yeast remnants and foam that over the top. No way, I chugged the first one straight from the bottle and then trained my tongue to reach the yeast on the end of the bottle. Ladies, don't get any strange ideas here... The second bottle, I robustly poured it down the middle of a pint glass(the way men were meant to pour) and admired the foamy esters enter the room in the form of orange and citrus with a peppery background. The flavors were mild and clean and I can see some possibilities for this brew near summer. I like the mild hop finish. I would have to say that this ranks on the top row of Anheuser-Busch products. Well done, I just hope that this ale finds its niche and does not go the way of Elk Mountain and other large brewer efforts at craft beer. This is craft beer and I hope it stays around for awhile.

4.85 points out of 5 Nicely crafted and well balanced. Good use of citrus rind and spices.

No comments: