Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sierra Nevada Harvest Fresh Hop Ale

IPA, if you live in California and drink something other than Lucky is what I would call a well used or abused term. I have had IPA's from all over and IPA's that shouldn't have been bottled at all. IPA can be to a new drinker of fine brews, a daunting thing, especially if the new drinker has had an IPA from Triple Rock. My god, those people are hop insane. But good...

I think Sierra Nevada is well versed at making me go ooh and aah over their beers. The term Harvest is a nice one and the label attracted me at first glance as it was one that you can't get in ND. I cracked her open and smelled the earthy scents of malt presence and said to myself, this beer is too cold. I let her sit for 5 minutes and was rewarded with a bouquet of hops that made me feel that they had a winner once again. Now I will tell you that first of all, this is a fine ale. I will also tell you that I think that all this wet/not wet hop malarkey is just that. The hop flavor is good and very present and I am sure they spent lots on the hops for this ale. It is an IPA, it is good, but it is an IPA in every area of taste. I think that Sierra Nevada thinks like I do that to call this special ale an IPA would be to call it ordinary, which it isn't. It is very good. I like it. It is an IPA in my mind.

4.75 out of 5 points