Sunday, October 14, 2007

Bayern Amber Lager

Bayern Amber Lager...God, I hate the term Amber. I know what you might be saying...You can't say that, amber is good, it is at least darker than pale. I know, I know, but whenever it seems that a brewer has nothing to offer, they offer a non descript piece of crap, usually called amber or red or some other crap because they refuse to stand for something.

That is not this beer at all. This beer represents the entry into a new market. When Jurgen Knoller arrived in Montana in 1987, He was given the task of creating a beer that would win the hearts and taste buds of Montanans who wanted, according to popular demand, a beer that is "darker than domestic beer but not too dark, and hoppier than domestic beers, but not too hoppy"

After some consideration, Jurgen came up with Bayern Amber, a traditional American amber lager with a distinct hoppy flavor. To reach this delicate middle ground, Bayern Amber is made with the same type and quantity of malted barly used in German Marzenbiers, and then hopped in the manner of Czech-style pilseners.

I feel that this beer is easy to enjoy. And like other Bayern brews, offers a fine balance that shows me that they pay one heck of a lot of attention to balance in their beers. I like it. I wish it were the rules that if you are to call your beer amber that at least you would have the same distinction as this fine beer.

4.0 points out of five

www.bayernbrewery.com

No comments: