Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Hog Heaven Barleywine Style Ale

Avery Brewing Company of Wonderful Boulder, Colorado. I love their beers and really have been dreading trying this intrepid brew from this talented brewer. Their manner of brewing seems to be, make it well and spare no expense to make it well. 9.2 abf and 2.5 lbs of Columbus dry hops per frigging barrel. If you have no fresh flower hops available, you will have to take my word for it...just rub your nose into a fresh hop and that is the smell of this hoppy brew. It is all about the hops with a sweet malty base that really is second fiddle for the hops. This brew to me is not unlike the Sierra Nevada offering Harvest. I really do not call these brews my cup of tea. I like much more balance for my taste. But that is me. This brew does stand alone along with twenty others in that Hops and hops alone are the focus. This brew does however go quite well with A CAO Maduro cigar...I like the creamy smoke followed by this sweet, cool, bitter brew. Cool combination, not to dunk your cookies in to be sure. I recommend this brew for the not so faint of heart. If you want to find out what hops truly taste like...well swig away. If you lean toward the malty, sweet brews that abound the shelves, then get back as this stuff will jade your senses and make you think that this is the new sweet. Not so, it is all about the hops.

4.5 out of 5 Points for a Barley wine. It is awesome to be sure. It is not however, subtle.

No comments: