Friday, July 27, 2007

Point Honey Light

Point Honey Light bought July 25th, Stevens Point, WI

Served In the Glass 50 deg

I have to say, I do not usually seek out the typical light beer. That having been said, I really don't feel that this is a light beer among light beers. There are calories there...125 of them...not a problem for me but I do come from the generation that produced Falstaff with 96 calories.

This beer had a nice light beer color. Somehow I envisioned a honey beer as darker but what is in the appearance. It has a nice hue to be sure and when it is poured it retains a nice head for a light beer. So far, so good. The smells are of light malt tones and a very slight honey-sweet presence. Also present are the alcohol esters that honey seems to add to beer. Not at all unpleasant. The flavor is well balanced and smooth. In fact, it reminded me of the base Point Special with the honey treatment. That is not at all bad as Special is great beer. I drank this one down and savored every sip. That is rare for a light beer. You ever notice that when you are drinking a light beer that the beer gets a bit foul as it gets to the bottom so you speed up the last few sips to get through it. Well, there is non of that going on here. I enjoyed that last bit just as much as the first. For a light beer that is no small feat. Good job Stevens Point Brewery. Point well made.

Light Beer 5 out of 5 points Job well done Point

No comments: